For most of us, summer vacation is meant to be a time of fun and relaxation. For some families, thought, it means the threat of hunger for their children because it represents the end of the school breakfast and lunch programs, where children can receive free or reduced cost meals. When school lets out for the summer, families must figure out how to fill this nutrition gap.
The Northern Kentucky Community Action Commission
is providing a Summer Nutrition Program again this summer. NKCAC has partnered with several local organizations to bridge the gap when school is not in session. This year for the first time, limited transportation will be available from some neighborhoods this year, through a grant from the Charles H. Dater Foundation
“Summertime can really affect a family’s food budget. With rising food prices, Northern Kentucky family’s can take their children to one of our sites in Campbell or Kenton or Pendleton Counties and receive a free, nutritious meal and have some fun too.” said Susan Rushing, Nutrition Services Director for Northern Kentucky Community Action Commission. Most of the locations serve hot lunches with items that kids love like and macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers. Most of the sites even serve free breakfast.
While enjoying their lunch the children can also participate in some fun recreational activities, too. Kids love creating sidewalk art. They also enjoy making beaded, macramé bracelets and necklaces. Greater Cincinnati Foundation
is helping with the costs of the activities and materials.
The free breakfast and lunch site locations, times and dates are:
- Newport Head Start – 502 West Ninth Street – Monday through Friday – June 1st – July 31st 11:00am-1:00pm – Lunch (Breakfast 8:00am-9:00am)
- Holy Trinity School – 840 Washington , Newport – Monday through Friday June 22nd – July 31st 11:00am-12:30pm
- OASIS ( 9th Street Baptist Church) 231 E. 9th Street, Covington – Monday through Friday June 1st – July 31st 11:30-1:00pm – Lunch
- Covington Head Start – 510 Keene Street Covington – Monday through Friday – June 1st through July 31st 12:00am – 2:00pm (Breakfast 9:00am – 10:00am)
- City Heights Covington Housing Authority – 2500 Todd Street – Monday through Friday June 15th – July 31st 12:00pm – 1:30pm (Breakfast 9:00am – 10:00am)
- Falmouth Head Start – 409 Barkley Street, Falmouth – Monday – Friday June 1st – July 31st 11:00am – 1:00pm (Breakfast 8:00am – 9:00am) Lunch 11:00am – 1:00pm.
Any child 18 years of age or under can receive free meals at any of the summer feeding sites. There is no sign in or sign up and parents do not need to accompany the children to receive a free meal. Meals are the same for all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service.